Click Below For A Printer Friendly Version of My Recipes! ♥

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, September 9, 2011

russian "kulebyaka" salmon pie recipe "low fat" ♥


here is a low fat version of my grandmothers "kulebyaka" salmon pie recipe traditionally it is with butter, rice and egg but I think that this version is much more healthier and still very tasty!

( also for an easy version on the crust you can buy low fat pastry pre made my  grandma katrina traditionally made the crust from scratch I remember her tiny hands kneading away! )


 extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 sprigs of thyme
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 small bunch of dill
6 peppercorns
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 pounds salmon fillets (divided into 4 pieces)
2 pounds puff pastry (thawed overnight if frozen)
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper




Heat olive oil in small saucepan; add chopped onion, 4 springs of thyme and cook until onion is soft and slightly brown. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and dry. Remove from heat and reserve.

In a skillet large enough to hold salmon fillets, place small bunch of dill, peppercorns and garlic; cover with cold water and bring to a simmer. Add salmon fillets one by one and cook until just firm (about 1 minute) then flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Gently remove from skillet and cool

Once all ingredients are cool, preheat oven to 375°, then divide puff pastry into 4 sections (frozen puff pastry will come in sheets). In center of pastry place 1/4 of rice, followed by 1/4 of mushroom mixture,  followed by one salmon fillet. Wrap puff pastry gently around salmon, seal with an egg wash, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Place in oven and cook until pastry is golden brown, about 30 minutes. enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yes my grandma use to meke all the pastry herself.And she tought me.I was small I couldn't even see the table .I had to pull the pastry to make it thin to cover the table.I was careful.Still there will be a big hole in the middle.I would cry.She made me do it over and over again.Of course back than I was crying out of frustration.Now I am grateful my grandma thought me all things cooking:)
    As you should be .This pie is amazing.I love salmon and eat it reguraly.Never made kulebyaka before:)

    ReplyDelete