Here is a great summer recipe for baked beans for those cookouts, take it and make it! With an added twist of bourbon! enjoy! ♥
- 12 oz. dry white/navy beans or 32 oz. of canned white/navy beans
- 6 ounces of turkey bacon
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- dash cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- water as needed
- Soak beans overnight
Soak the dry beans overnight. Drain the beans when you are ready to cook. If you use plain, canned navy beans for this recipe, skip this step.
- Chop bacon into large bits and fry.
- Add onions and pepper and dash salt to the bacon grease. Saute for a few minutes just to wilt.
- In a bowl add tomato sauce, ketchup, onions and peppers, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, more salt and pepper and mix.
- Add in bourbon and taste. You might want to add a touch more. The alcohol will bake off. The beans must be thoroughly in the liquid and keep in mind the liquid will reduce down. Add in water as needed.
- Mix with beans in a shallow baking dish and add in bacon.
- Bake at 300 for about 4 hours or until it gets gooey and caramelized and beans are cooked.
- Option: Put the beans in a slow cooker overnight on low or for about 6 hours until done. enjoy! ♥