Here is a perfect healthy low carb summer lunch or light dinner! Summer spring rolls super easy and super healthy, enjoy! ♥
Ingredients ♥ (approx 8 rolls, 1/2 cup sauce)
Spring Roll Wrappers (at least 8-10) or lettuce leaves
1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
1/2 English cucumber, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
2 medium carrots, peeled & julienned
2 green onions, chopped
3-4 lettuce leaves, julienned
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, thick stems removed and minced
1/3 cup roasted & salted peanuts
Herbamare or sea salt, to season
For the peanut lime sauce
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup natural roasted peanut butter
1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh ginger
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp low sodium tamari
2 tsp sugar
1-3 tsp water, to thin out as needed
1. Press the tofu while you prepare the filling and sauce. For pressing instructions, see here.
2. For the filling: Julienne the vegetables (slice into long thin strips). Finely chop herbs. Set aside, along with peanuts.
3. For the sauce: In a mini processor, process the garlic until minced. Now add the rest of the ingredients and process again until smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste. You may prefer more sweetener, tamari, oil, or lime juice. Or simply mince ingredients and whisk together.
4. Slice pressed tofu into long thin strips. You likely won’t need the entire block.
5. Set up a roll making station and gather all of your ingredients in one area. Place a tea towel on the counter and fill a very large bowl with hot tap water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water and carefully submerge it once it gets soft. Hold it under water for about 10 seconds, or until soft, and remove from water carefully. Place it onto the tea towel and unfold any corners that may have rolled up.
6. Add the filling ingredients in the centre or bottom third of the wrapper (see pictures in post). Be careful not to overfill or the wrappers will tear. Sprinkle with peanuts and a sprinkle of salt.
7. Roll the two sides of the rice wrapper inward and then flip the bottom over top the filling and roll forward tightly. Place roll on a plate and cover with damp paper towels. Repeat for the rest.
8. Serve the rolls immediately with the peanut dipping sauce. If you have any leftover vegetables enjoy them dipped in the sauce on the side. Sauce should keep for at least a week in a sealed container in the fridge. Rolls will keep for 1 day in the fridge rolled in a damp paper towel. Enjoy! ♥