Click Below For A Printer Friendly Version of My Recipes! ♥

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Grandma Katrina's russian chicken and dumpling soup ♥

So sorry everyone,  I haven't posted in awhile, been going through a rough time lately, so in this post I am trying to perk up with my Grandma Katrina's chicken and dumpling soup, which always made me feel better as a child when she would make it.. it's also a great comfort food thats good for you! enjoy!


Yields: 6-8 servings
Ingredients:
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch circles
2-3 celery ribs, sliced into ¼ inch pieces also
1 large onion, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons flour
1-2 sprigs of thyme, minced
2 Tablespoons white wine
2 quarts chicken broth
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Melt 2 Tablespoons of fat free butter in pot over medium heat, add onions, season with salt and cook until soft, 3-5 min. Add carrots and celery, season with salt cook until soft, about another 3 min. Add garlic and thyme, cook until fragrant, about 1 min. Stir in the flour and cook for about 3 min, until all the flour is incorporated into the vegetables.

Whisk in the wine and the chicken broth. Simmer until the carrots are cooked through. Discard the thyme sprigs. Make the dumplings.
Dumplings: I like a lot of dumplings in this soup. If you like your soups on the thinner side, halve the recipe.
1 cup chicken broth
6 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs
Bring broth, butter and salt to a boil.

As soon as it boils, add the flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to come together, approximately 1 min.

Decrease the heat to low and continue stirring until mixture forms a ball and is no longer sticky, approximately 3 min.

Transfer to a bowl and mix for3-5 min, until it’s no longer steaming.
Add eggs, one at a time.

now for the dumplings...I use a tablespoon to form the dumplings and drop them into the soup.
The dumplings will sink to the bottom of the soup when they are first dropped in. They will float to the top as the cook.

Put the lid on the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes to completely cook the dumplings.
Turn off the heat, add meat and garnish with fresh parsley.
I usually have chicken broth in the freezer that I can use. Before I start cooking the soup, I place 2-4 chicken drumsticks in a small pot with 1 small onion, 1 smashed garlic clove, 1 dry bay leaf and 3 peppercorns and cover it with water. Season to taste with salt. Cook, skimming off the impurities from the top until the chicken is cooked through. Take the meat off the bone and add to the soup at the end. I also strain the broth and add it to the soup.

You can also make broth from scratch but you will need to cook it longer, so the flavor is more concentrated. Also,when I replenish my chicken broth supply, I reserve the meat and the amount of broth that I need and proceed with the rest of the recipe. serve warm with crusty bread and enjoy!

 

2 comments:

  1. this one is a very good recipe for a fall dinner)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree its great on those chilly fall days! :)

    ReplyDelete