Click Below For A Printer Friendly Version of My Recipes! ♥

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

homemade healthy yogurt ♥

Since the flavor of the month for Food Buzz  publishing is yogurt, I figured why not make my own, with a little help from a yogurt maker..here's the recipe enjoy! :)




To get started, I purchase a good, quality Greek yogurt from the supermarket, about six ounces in size. Look for one that:

    ♥     does not have added pectin or thickeners
    ♥      is not nearing the expiration date
    ♥      has many active, live cultures (I look for at least five)

In a large stainless steel pot, I warm a half gallon of whole milk for a healthier version I like to use light orsoy milk!  (sometimes I add a bit of cream, too). Once the milk is warmed, I turn up the heat a bit and bring it just to a simmer, then I remove the pot from the heat and let cool.
Since I don't have a thermometer for checking the temperature of my yogurt, I let it cool just to the point where I can leave my finger in for five seconds without too much pain. Don't let it cool much more than that.
Next, I add in the one small container of Greek yogurt, and stir well to dissolve into the milk.
Then I use a soup ladle to pour the milk mixture into glass jars and set them into my yogurt maker. Mine is the Yolife Yogurt Maker, and it comes with several small glass jars, but I like to use larger mason jars, too.
Just put the lid on, plug the yogurt maker in, and the yogurt cultures go right to work in a perfect little environment just for them.
This creamy yogurt was ready in just eight hours! One thing that I've noticed is that the longer it sits, the more sour it seems to taste. Eight hours is about the minimum time to let it sit. Once it's creamy, just put the lids on and store the yogurt in your refrigerator as usual. enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment