since february flavor of the month on food buzz is chocolate here is a favorite , my grandmas chocolate cookie cake she used to make, only I made a healthier version and added cherries and graham crackers instead of regular cookies .. enjoy! :) ♥
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 table-spoon unsalted butter (fat free)
1/4 cup corn syrup ( you can use low sugar corn syrup)
7 ounces Green & Black's Organic 72 percent Bittersweet Baking Bar, broken into pieces
1 egg ( i use egg substitute)
2 ounces graham crackers (about 8)
1/2 cup whole walnuts
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup candied cherries, reserve a few for decoration
- Preparation time: 15 minutes | Chilling time: 4 hours
- Use: 8- x 3-inch loaf pan
- Line loaf pan with waxed paper or alternately butter pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter and corn syrup together in small saucepan over gentle heat until they begin to boil.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water, then mix thoroughly with butter and corn syrup mixture.
- Beat egg slowly and continuously into hot chocolate mixture.
- In separate bowl, break graham crackers into large chunks.
- Add walnuts, raisins and most of cherries to cracker mixture.
- Pour chocolate mixture into cracker mixture and mix with spatula or wooden spoon.
- Press mixture into pan and decorate with reserved cherries. Refrigerate mixture about four hours. To serve, peel off waxed paper and cut into slices or cubes. Serve chilled. enjoy! :)