So I saw some beautiful eggplants at the market the other day and I just had to make Eggplant Parmigiana In Italian ( Parmigiana Di Melanzane ) only my version is not fried but baked much healthier!
Eggplant contains many vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to one's health. Eggplant contains many vitamins, but its dominant vitamins are vitamin C, folate, B vitamins, and vitamin A. These vitamins improve the body's overall health, boost the immune system, and improve resistance to various diseases. Eggplant also contains a large quantity of minerals such as phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals help prevent health problems such as arthritis, osteoporosis, and heart disease. Eggplant is also a great source of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber protects against colon cancer, keeps the digestive system working properly, and keeps the stomach feeling full after a meal. So go ahead and make this awesome healthy recipe for dinner tonight! ♥
1 large eggplant
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2/3 cup)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
1 lb chilled fresh mozzarella (not unsalted), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 cup onion
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1. Peel and slice the eggplant into ¼ to ½ inch slices. Place them on a cooling rack over a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt. Allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes for the bitter juices to drain out.
2. Prepare the sauce while waiting. Place the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and crushed pepper and cook until the garlic lightly browns. Add the onions and cook until they become translucent. Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, and basil. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 425º F with a baking sheet inside. Rinse and pat dry the eggplant slices. Combine the breadcrumbs with ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Place the flour in a dish, the eggs in a shallow bowl, and the breadcrumb mixture in another dish. Dredge each eggplant slice in flour and then in the eggs, letting the excess drip. Coat with breadcrumb mixture and place them on a cooling rack.
4. Remove the baking sheet from the oven (do not turn off oven) and brush 3 tablespoons of oil over the entire hot baking sheet. Lay the eggplant slices on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the slices over after 15 minutes.
5. In a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish, spread 1 cup of sauce. Layer half the eggplant slices over the sauce. Cover with another cup of sauce and layer with fresh mozarella. Add a second layer of eggplant and cover with another cup of sauce andremaining mozzarella cheese slices. Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbling. enjoy!♥